17 Jun OHS has a new way of investigating incidents
Following a number of serious OHS incidents, Monash Health completed an in-depth review of our OHS Incident Investigation Procedure.
The review was able to identify and implement significant areas for improvement in the OHS Incident Investigation process. These improvements have been incorporated in an updated procedure, which will produce improved outcomes and reduce risk across the organisation.
The elements of the key areas of improvement within the new procedure are as follows:
- The OHS Incident Investigation Procedure has been updated to improve safety.
- It provides clear guidance as to what methodology should be used, based on the severity of the incident.
- There are now five “how to” procedures. One of these is overarching, followed by individual procedures outlining each level of OHS ISR investigation.
- We have simplified the OHS Incident Investigation Procedure. This includes a Who, What, When, Where and How approach for incidents classified at ISR4 level.
- The new procedure takes effect 1 July 2019.
Download the OHS Incident Investigation Procedure poster
Prior to the roll out of the new procedure, a trial was conducted at Casey Hospital. All workgroups associated with Casey, including Mental Health and affiliated community programs, were involved in the trial. The trial produced a detailed look at how effective the procedure was and in doing so, it highlighted further improvement opportunities, which have been implemented in the final document.
On 1 July this year the newly updated procedure will take effect. All Monash Health staff are encouraged to read and understand the updated procedure – which is available to view on PROMPT. Additional tools and resources can be found on the OHS intranet under OHS Incident Investigation.
The OHS team would like to prepare staff for the commencement of the new procedure and encourage all managers to investigate all current / outstanding OHS incidents within their areas of responsibility prior to 1 July. If you have any question or would like to know more about the new procedure please contact the following: