01 Nov MMC Emergency Department redevelopment update
The Monash Medical Centre Emergency Department Redevelopment and Traffic Improvement Project is progressing well.
Senior Project Manager Frank Michienzi said employees and visitors are understanding of the construction work activities across the Monash Medical Centre and Monash Children’s Hospital sites.
“People have been very patient with us, and we’re very thankful for their understanding during the disruption,” Mr Michienzi said.
“Particular thanks go to the project team, security, site management, reception teams, volunteers, and others who have helped minimise the impact and congestion on visitors,” Mr Michienzi said.
“We realise that employees and visitors are experiencing disruption, and we truly appreciate their patience. Our priority is improving the way Monash Medical Centre is equipped to care for critically ill or injured patients.”
A milestone has been reached in the project, with the tunnel capping in front of Monash Medical Centre now fully sealed ready for the first concrete pour. “This is a crucial step for the project, and opens up the next stages of external works,” Mr Michienzi said.
Some other recent progress includes:
- The former main reception space has been converted to a temporary emergency triage and waiting area, scheduled to open in late November 2019. This development also clears the way for the next stages of internal construction.
- The existing Adult Short Stay Unit has temporarily relocated to Level 5 and now in full operation.
- Good progress is being made on the new pedestrian path adjacent to P-Block, scheduled to be completed by end of November. This will pedestrian and vehicle congestion and is an important milestone to improve pedestrian safety, which remains a top priority.
- Temporary and converted clinical zones in the existing Emergency Department have commenced.
- The existing public entry to the Emergency Department will close and temporarily relocate at the main front entrance of the hospital. Triage will occur inside the main entry of Monash Medical Centre.