13 Feb Celebrating the opening of Moorabbin Hospital in the Home hub
Late last year, Moorabbin welcomed the opening of an Adult Hospital in the Home (HITH) hub. The initiative will increase our capacity to support the care needs of up to 25 patients under the HITH program.
Since 2012, patients who began their episode of care at Moorabbin Hospital were visited at home through the HITH program, and now we are excited to have a physical presence on the site. HITH Nurse Manager, Anita Figredo, highlighted many of the benefits patients who take up the opportunity of HITH enjoy. These include:
• more personalised contact between patient and HITH staff prior to transfer of care, whether this be on the ward or in a chemotherapy day unit;
• an increased opportunity to ask questions and reduce fears about entering the HITH service;
• greater choice of location for day infusions, medical review and clinical care; and
• development of new patient types to transition to care at home under HITH, especially for cancer care.
The HITH team is pleased to announce that there will be many more cancer treatments available for Monash patients in the comfort of their homes.
The HITH team would sincerely like to thank:
• Sue Liersch and her team for welcoming us with open arms
• Moorabbin Nurse Managers and their staff for assisting us in transferring patients to the program successfully.
We would especially like to thank Trish Ditto, Ellen Heywood and Helen Richards for helping develop the success of the unit.
Congratulations to the Monash HITH Nursing and Medical team for their tireless efforts in ensuring the success of the program.